Local roundup: New London wins Babe Ruth 15 opener
Trumbull — Derrel Mitchell had a single, two runs, two RBI and struck out eight as New London beat Rhode Island champion North Providence-Smithfield on Friday, 7-4, in its opening game of pool play at the New England Babe Ruth 15-year-old tournament at Trumbull High School.
Chris Tonucci had two hits and an RBI for New London, which will play Lamprey River, N.H., on Saturday at 4 p.m. at the same site.
Lamprey River beat Skowhegan, Maine, in its opener, 10-0.
• Andrew Jenkins (Georgia Tech) went 3-for-5, including an RBI double, and scored as the Danbury Westerners downed the Mystic Schooners, 7-2. Harry Strmecki (Dayton) hit a solo home run for Danbury (18-15). Michael DeMartino (Southern Connecticut State) had three hits, three RBI and a run for the Schooners (17-15) and Addison Kopack (Rhode Island) had two hits, including a RBI double, and scored.
• Michael DeMartino (Southern Connecticut State) had two hits, including a two-run home run, as the Mystic Schooners edged the Martha's Vineyard Sharks on Thursday night, 10-9, in 10 innings. Christopher Brito (Rutgers) had two hits, including an RBI, and scored for the Schooners (17-14) and Addison Kopack (Rhode Island) had an RBI double and scored twice. Haydn McGeary (Colorado Mesa) went 4-for-5, including a two-run home run, for the Sharks (19-13).
The Norwich Sea Unicorns were held to three singles in a 10-0 loss to the Worcester Bravehearts. The game ended after six innings on a mercy rule. Luke DeLongchamp got the win for Worcester (23-22). Gavin Noriega doubled, tripled and drove in three runs and Andrew Eppinger homered for Worcester. Norwich is 20-25.
• Jake Hyde (Georgetown) hit a go-ahead RBI single with two outs in the bottom of the sixth inning, scoring Zach Donahue (UConn), as the New Britain Bees edged the Norwich Sea Unicorns on Thursday night, 6-5. David Howarth (Northeastern) hit an RBI single and scored for the Bees (21-22). Anthony Porrino (Sacred Heart) hit a three-run home run, Kaelen Culpepper (Kansas State) had two hits, a run and an RBI and Waterford's Peyton Sutman (Holy Cross) scattered three hits and two earned runs over four innings for the Sea Unicorns (20-23).
Section 3 Little League tournament (10-12)
• Nico Argarin hit a two-run single and pitched three innings as Clinton beat Waterford on Thursday, 5-2. Colby Sheehan had two hits and scored, Jacob Turner had three hits and Thomas Flanagan doubled for Waterford.
Intermediate baseball (11-13)
• New London and Fairfield American will play for the state title this weekend at Miller Richardson Field in Coventry. The best-of-three series begin on Saturday at 5 p.m. Game 2 will be Sunday at noon with Game 3, if necessary, beginning 30 minutes after Game 2 ends. New London clinched the Section 2 title by beating Coventry 11-3 on July 13.
• Zone 6 teams Waterford and Norwich will play in the American Legion regional qualifying tournament. Norwich is seeded 10th and will play at No. 7 Windsor Locks/Windsor in a play-in game on Saturday at 1 p.m. No. 1 Waterford hosts the West Hartford-Greenwich winner on Monday.
After the play-in round the eight remaining teams will play in a double-elimination tournament, with the winner advancing to the regional tournament in Worcester, Mass. The state tournament this season will be played beginning on Aug. 3.
• Norwich trailed 5-1 before exploding for a 7-5 victory Thursday over Tri-Town, scoring four runs in the top of the sixth and two in the seventh. Anthony Martin had a hit, two walks and three runs scored for Norwich and Connor Doyle had a hit, three RBI and two stolen bases.
• Robbie Delacruz (single), Liam Kane (double) and Colby Greenhalgh (walk) each came around to score in the first inning Wednesday night as the Knights defeated the Padres 4-1 at Mitchell College. Bryce Bedard pitched innings for the win, allowing just three hits, striking out six and walking none.
Stories that may interest you
The Connecticut College women's soccer team beat Colby 2-0 in a NESCAC game on Sunday