Local roundup: East Lyme LL baseball (ages 8-10) reaches Section 3 title game
Newington — John Roberts was 3-for-3 with a run scored and Colton Glover pitched 4.1 innings of relief as East Lyme defeated Madison 6-1 Thursday in the Connecticut Section 3 Little League tournament for ages 8-10.
East Lyme (2-0) advanced to the championship game of the tournament to be played at 5 p.m. Saturday against an opponent to be determined.
Kyle Cellemme and Greyson Biggs had two hits each for East Lyme and Biggs and Brayden Santos doubled. East Lyme took a 3-1 lead with two runs in the second inning and added two insurance runs in the sixth.
Section 3 Little League tournament (10-12)
• Nico Argarin hit a two-run single and pitched three innings as Clinton beat Waterford, 5-2. Colby Sheehan had two hits and scored, Jacob Turner had three hits and Thomas Flanagan doubled for Waterford.
American Legion Zone 6
• Dan Driscoll pitched a shutout, allowing four hits and striking out 11 over seven innings, to lead Waterford past Norwich 3-0 in a pitchers' dual. Tate Scherer (3-for-4), Evan McCue and Elijah Morton each had multiple hits for Waterford. Elliott Johnson took the loss for Norwich, allowing one run on four hits.
• Norwich trailed 5-1 before exploding for a 7-5 victory over Tri-Town, scoring four runs in the top of the sixth and two in the seventh. Anthony Martin had a hit, two walks and three runs scored for Norwich and Connor Doyle had a hit, three RBI and two stolen bases.
• Robbie Delacruz (single), Liam Kane (double) and Colby Greenhalgh (walk) each came around to score in the first inning Wednesday night as the Knights defeated the Padres 4-1 at Mitchell College. Bryce Bedard pitched innings for the win, allowing just three hits, striking out six and walking none.
• Michael DeMartino (Southern Connecticut State) had two hits, including a two-run home run, as the Mystic Schooners edged the Martha's Vineyard Sharks, 10-9, in 10 innings. Christopher Brito (Rutgers) had two hits, including an RBI, and scored for the Schooners (17-14) and Addison Kopack (Rhode Island) had an RBI double and scored twice. Haydn McGeary (Colorado Mesa) went 4-for-5, including a two-run home run, for the Sharks (19-13).
• Jake Hyde (Georgetown) hit a go-ahead RBI single with two outs in the bottom of the sixth inning, scoring Zach Donahue (UConn), as the New Britain Bees edged the Norwich Sea Unicorns, 6-5. David Howarth (Northeastern) hit an RBI single and scored for the Bees (21-22). Anthony Porrino (Sacred Heart) hit a three-run home run, Kaelen Culpepper (Kansas State) had two hits, a run and an RBI and Waterford's Peyton Sutman (Holy Cross) scattered three hits and two earned runs over four innings for the Sea Unicorns (20-23).
Stories that may interest you
The Connecticut College women's soccer team beat Colby 2-0 in a NESCAC game on Sunday