Local roundup: Fitch boys' win lacrosse opener on new field
Groton — Devyn Jordan had five goals and an assist as Fitch began a new season on its new turf field with a 16-6 victory over Waterford in an Eastern Connecticut Conference Division I boys' lacrosse game on Thursday.
James Deichler added four goals and two assists for the Falcons while Evan Salen had three goals and two assists, Ty Peters had two goals and one assist, and Shawn Beebe forced four turnovers and had nine ground balls.
Anthony Stone and John Zimmerman scored two goals apiece for the Lancers (0-2, 0-2).
In other games:
• Ryan Whaley had four goals and two assists to highlight East Lyme's 14-4 win over NFA in an ECC Division I match. Anthony Gencino added three goals for the Vikings (2-0, 2-0) while Sean McCusker had two goals and one assist, Jack Keating and Wes Williamson each had one goal and one assist, Zack Boguszewski and Drew Sager each scored a goal and Miles Hinkley added an assist. Mathais Langley, Quinn Perkins and Noah Brown had one goal and one assist each for the Wildcats (1-1, 1-1).
• Nancy Alden scored three goals and had three assists as East Lyme beat Fitch 18-3 in an ECC Division I game. Dani Bruno scored four goals, Ryan Nagle had three goals, Sydney Sager had two goals and an assist, Izzy Pazzaglia scored twice and Izzy Mazzi had a goal and an assist for East Lyme (2-0, 2-0). Hadley Farragher (8) and Giana Franco combined for 10 saves for East Lyme, Meredith Healy, Dylan Park and Abbie Belleville scored and Meg Nagle had an assist. Sophia Clang had a goal and an assist for Fitch (1-1, 1-1) while Rita Sefransky and Bridget O'Leary each scored a goal.
• Katherine Glenn had four goals and an assist as Stonington edged Waterford 7-6 in an ECC Division I game. Ivy Goodman added three goals and an assist for the Bears (2-0, 2-0) while Marin Mahoney had three goals to lead the Lancers (0-2, 0-2), Carly Holdridge and Julia Knowles each scored twice, Aidan Swansen had an assist and goalie Ilyanna Rivera made seven saves.
• Jess English and Maddie McLeod scored four goals apiece as Ledyard rolled to a 13-1 victory over Wheeler/Grasso Tech in an ECC Division II game. Clare Inyang added two goals for the Colonels (2-0, 2-0) while Kate English, Helena Robinson and Olivia Storz each scored a goal and goalie Bella Drummond made two saves. Michele Macina, assisted by Grace Armstrong, scored for the Lions (0-1, 0-1) and goalie Rose Tardiff stopped nine spots.
• Carly Schmidt scored four goals as Morgan spoiled Old Lyme's season opener with a 7-5 win in the Shoreline Conference. Sadie Bowman had two goals and an assist to lead the Wildcats while Emily Mesham scored twice, Fiona Frederiks had a goal, Caroline Crolius had an assist and goalie Hayden Saunders made 17 saves.
• Daniella Holland had two goals and an assist during Mitchell College's 18-7 loss to Becker in the New England Collegiate Conference. Goalie Ashley Holdridge of Ledyard made 11 saves for the Mariners (0-7, 0-2).
• Tyler Cady and Jason Ostrowski had three hits apiece in Avery Point's 11-6 loss to Northern Essex. Cady, from Mystic and Fitch High School, also scored two runs and reached base all four times for the Pointers (1-6), while Javon Hernandez added a triple and double with a run scored.
Stories that may interest you
Some days Chris Wojick heads to the ECSU baseball complex for work, other days to the golf course. And sometimes he pulls double duty with his two jobs — associated head coach/pitching coach for the baseball team, head coach for the golf team.
A weekly look at accomplishment by athletes from local colleges and local athletes who are playing at colleges outside the region.