H.S. roundup: Westbrook boys edge Old Lyme 4-3 in tennis match
Old Lyme — Shoreline Conference champion Westbrook beat Old Lyme for the second time this year, edging the Wildcats 4-3 in a boys' tennis match on Wednesday.
The Purple Knights also beat Old Lyme last month, 5-2, in the match that counted towards the regular-season season standings.
George and Will Danes won at No. 1 and 5 five singles, respectively, for Old Lyme (12-2) and while the No. 1 doubles team of Regan Kaye-Tim O'Brien pulled out a three-set victory.
In other matches:
• Brendan Duhamel, Jack Giurleo and AJ Hintz all won their respective singles matches for Montville in its 6-1 win over New London. The doubles teams of Ethan Thomas-Matt Malbaurn, Jae Seung Kim-Jason Zhong and Adam Smith-Gabe Vogt won for Montville (7-1). Wesly Paul won at No. 1 singles for the Whalers (3-5-1).
• Tucker Callahan, Matthew Turrisi and Chase Williams won their singles matches for Stonington as it shut out NFA, 7-0, in an ECC Division I match. The Bears (8-2, 6-2) won the remaining matches by forfeit. The Wildcats are 0-9-1, 0-8-1.
• Sujesh Kurumbail, Daniel Sapozhnikov and Benjamin Tan all won in straight sets as unbeaten East Lyme beat Waterford, 7-0, in an ECC Division I match. The doubles teams of Guillem Colom and Rohan Purohit and Jiarui Peng and Ayush Mishra both won for East Lyme (11-0, 10-0), which also won two matches by forfeit. The Lancers are 3-8, 3-7.
• Sarah Hage, Autumn Brothers and Alli Silva won the top three singles matches, respectively, in Waterford's 6-1 win over East Lyme in an ECC Division I match. The doubles teams of Jen LeBlanc-Michele Liu, Nitya and Nidhi Somineni and Grace Stilpnen-Ella Briggs won for Waterford (9-1, 9-1). Ritisha Ande won at No. 4 singles for the Vikings (5-6, 4-6).
• Savannah Vichas won her singles match for Montville as it beat New London, 4-3, for its first win of the season. The doubles teams of Angie Bunay-Alivia Lambert, Allyson Boyer-Linda Ru and Yuying Wu-Natalee Emmons won by forfeit for Montville (1-6). Emily Fielding, Taina Smith and Mary Lambree won the top three singles matches, respectively, for the Whalers (0-9).
• Maddie Hamm won at No. 1 singles for Stonington as it beat NFA, 6-1, in an ECC Division I match. Mia Lewandowski and Grace Milne won at singes for the Bears (9-1, 7-1) as did the doubles teams of Katie Johnstone-Katya Snegovskikh, Erin Motherway-Emily Falling and Lauren Buckley-Analise McGee. Sarah Ericson won No. 2 singles in three sets for the Wildcats (6-4, 5-4).
• Julia Meilguj, Haley Rodgers and Fiona Kennedy all won at singles for Fitch in its 5-2 win over Ledyard in an ECC Division II match. Fiza Shariff and Kristine Lee won at doubles for Fitch (6-4, 5-4) as did Arianna Timmerman and Anna Servidio. Sarah Bailey won her singles match for the Colonels (2-8, 1-8) and Haley Kutterman and Jill Rezendes won at No. 1 doubles.
• Sam Tan and Callie and Livie Bass all won their singles matches in straight sets in Old Lyme's 6-1 win over Westbrook. The Wildcats (14-0) also received doubles wins from Lauren Wallace and Alexis Fenton, Fiona Hufford and Izzy Reynolds and Sophia Ortoleva and Elaina Morosky.
• Logan Rolfe shot a low-round 39 as unbeaten East Lyme shutout Fitch, 7-0, in an ECC Division I match. Dan Singer shot a 40, Matt Orefice a 42 and Max Caron a 43 for East Lyme (9-0, 8-0). Jack Kramer shot 41 for the Falcons (5-7, 4-7) and Nate McCormack shot 48.
• Justin Holland shot a 44 for Stonington in its 5-2 win over New London in an ECC Division I match. Brandon Tavares shot a 45 for Stonington (4-5, 4-4). Zach Stock shot a 36 to win medalist honors for the Whalers (0-10, 0-9) and Cade O'Brien shot a 47.
• Kyle Sikorski and JJ Hay both shot a 41 in NFA's 5-2 win over Waterford in an ECC Division I match. Costa Kapilotis shot a 47 for NFA (5-3, 3-2). Danny Torres shot a 40 to earn medalist for the Lancers (6-4, 6-3) and Nick Hynes shot a 42.
• Joshua James shot a low-round 48 to lead Norwich Tech past Grasso Tech, 212-239, in a Connecticut Technical Conference match. Joshua Lavender shot a 50 for Norwich Tech (6-3, 6-3). Nolan Blewitt shot a 52 for the Bulldogs (3-5, 3-5).
• Medalist Lucas Baldinger shot a 40 for Bacon Academy in its 7-0 win over Plainfield in an ECC Division II match. Bacon is 5-2, 4-2.
• Williams School assisted on 12 of its goals in a 16-5 win over St. Andrew's in Barrington, R.I. Sarah Cole had four goals and four assists and Lucy Fader two goals and five assists to lead the Blues (3-1). Amaya Butler added three goals, Skylar Frost had two goals and two assists, and Ellie Fader and Scarlett Kane each scored twice.
• Aislinn Strecker had 11 goals to lead New London past Wheeler on Tuesday, 17-12, in an ECC Division II game. Emilia Skrabacz scored six times for New London (3-8, 3-8).
• Robbie Darling had two goals and four assists as unbeaten Williams beat St. Andrew's School, 14-2. Cody Delaurentis had two goals and three assists, Ben Xenelis had two goals and two assists, and Max Sarwar scored three times for the Blues (6-0). Sterling Frost added two goals.
• Matt Valakos had four goals and six assists as East Lyme remained unbeaten with a 21-7 victory over Woodstock Academy in an ECC Division I game on Tuesday. Ryan Whaley added three goals and three assists for the Vikings (9-0, 6-0) while Wes Williamson and Garisen Wiese had had four goals and one assist apiece, Miles Hinkley had three goals and one apiece and Zach Boguszewski, Matt Brodeur and Jack Keating each scored a goal.