Dryer fire at Norwich laundromat
Norwich – City firefighters responded to a fire at James Laundromat & Dry Cleaners on 420 W. Main St. at about 1:30 p.m. Sunday.
No one was injured, according to a Norwich Fire Department press release.
“The first units arrived to find a light smoke condition and the building evacuated,” the press release reads. “Companies made entry and found a fire within the dryers. The fire was extinguished and placed under control in 10 minutes.”
The property sustained minor smoke damage. Some of the laundromat’s commercial dryers were damaged as well. Norwich Public Utilities secured the electricity and gas.
"The laundromat remains closed and can't open until the building official clears Norwich Public Utilities to restore power," which is Monday morning at the earliest, Battalion Chief Marc Benjamin said.
The response consisted of 19 people total from the Norwich Fire Department and the Mohegan Tribal FAST team.
The fire is being investigated by the Norwich fire marshal.
Stories that may interest you
Chief Michael Spellman said when the department receives complaints of rude or inappropriate officer behavior, the complaints become a "point of emphasis" for supervisors to observe officers and ensure appropriate interaction with the public.
Norwich police said a neighbor dispute escalated into an alleged exchange of racial and homosexual slurs followed by BB gun fire last Wednesday.
A person sustained a life-threatening gunshot wound on Monday that state police said occurred in an incident in which there appears to be no criminal aspect.